Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

This Week's Books

The Poison Boy         Untitled         Storybook Favourites In Cross Stitch        New England Rocks (New England Rocks #1)
 
Midsummer Magic       Love Virtually         Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)       Under A Blood Red Sky 
 
 
Maggie's Tree         The Color Purple         The King of Vodka: The Story of Pyotr Smirnov and the Upheaval of an Empire
 
 
Well, what a week for books!
 
The Poison Boy by Fletcher Moss I won. It is the winner of the Times Children's Fiction competition 2012. Published by Chicken House. It sounds awesome! I've already done CH's "Try it! Read page 22" - hooked!
 
Girl Least Likely To by Liz Jones. Published by Simon and Schuster. "30 years of fashion, fasting and Fleet Street." This was a surprise review copy. Liz is like Marmite. I will give it a go so look out for a review.
 
Storybook Favourites in Cross-Stitch by Gillian Souter is delightful. Published by Little, Brown it is chock full of the cutest cross stitch patterns for Beatrix Potter characters, Rupert, Babar, Paddington Bear, Angelina Ballerina, Spot, Blinky Bill, Miffy, Duck, Peter Pan and Apple Tree Farm. Before I moved house I used to cross stitch often. The kit is still in a box somewhere so I'm saving the book for when I dig that out. The best part? Got this from a charity shop - £1.50 *happy dance*.
 
New England Rocks by Christina Courtenay is very exciting! It is the first in a YA series from Choc Lit called Choc Lit Rocks and I really hope it does.
 
I won the copy of Midsummer Magic by Julia Williams. Published by Avon books it looks the perfect Summer read.
 
I was THRILLED to find Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer sitting on a shelf in Poundland - yes, Poundland! I have already read it and LOVED it SO MUCH I bought its sequel Every Seventh Wave so I had the second but not the first...until now. Published by Maclehose Press its a fantastic romantic e-mail novel. Review being posted shortly.
 
I cannot wait to read Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo published by Indigo. Somehow I missed out on the whole Grisha thing and after admitting so on Twitter a very kind soul took pity on me and sent me this!
 
Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall was another Poundland purchase. I have a bit of a thing for books set in Russia and at that price I thought why not?
 
Maggie's Tree by Julie Walters is an audiobook that was kindly sent out after a Twitter lucky dip! How lucky was that?! Its even read by Julie Walters (Mrs. Weasley for you Potter fans). Am looking forward to being read to for a change!
 
I have never read The Colour Purple by Alice Walker and so thought it was about time to buy a copy. Its a classic.
 
The King of Vodka by Linda Himelstein is Poundland's fault but - as I said earlier, I have a bit of a thing for books set in Russia. It is the story of Pyotr Smirnov and the upheaval of an Empire. "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end - and in the meantime, it is good to drink a sip of vodka." Old Russian proverb.
 
That's all for today so cin cin! I'm going to settle back in my garden chair with a Crabbies Ginger Beer and Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment