Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase

13555073
"Hauntings are our business..."
 
Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase
*PROOF*
Published 29 August 2013 Doubleday
 
I have two confessions...
 
1) I have NEVER read a Jonathan Stroud book before. I am aware this is a shocking error and shall have to be rectified before I end up in library purgatory.
 
2) I am a complete scaredy cat and do not read ghost stories.
 
So, when I received a review copy of Lockwood I was...unsure to say the least, but I thought give it a go - expand your reading horizons, and I am SO glad I did.
 
Ghosts are real. The Problem is widespread with many reports of Visitors and fatal cases of ghost-touch. In order to deal with The Problem, agencies started springing up, staffed by...well...children to assist the haunted. One such agency is Lockwood & Co. The book follows the Lockwood team on several of their cases.
 
I loved loved loved this book! It is exciting and unputdownable. The writing is utterly brilliant and so engaging I was drawn into the story from the start. The characters are fab, each with their own talents and strengths and equally needed to succeed as a team. I particularly like the charismatic Lockwood who I see as a young Cumberbatch!
 
The book was scary, with several scenes that left me wincing with quite vivid mental pictures - but as I said, I'm a big softy. I cannot wait to read more in this series, Lockwood is one of my best books of the year.
 
Thank you for the review copy, I'm off now to seek out Bartimaeus!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment