Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Longbourn

17612893
 
 
Longbourn by Jo Baker
*PROOF COPY*
Published 15 August 2013 Doubleday
 
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books. It is witty and sharp and full of marvellous characters. I have re-read the book many times and am always on the lookout for more - the sequels, the what-if books that have been written in their dozens.
 
Longbourn is different. If, like Lady Catherine De Bourgh you think "I know it all!", think again for this is the servants story. It tells of Mr and Mrs Hill, Sarah, Polly and newcomer James. Of cleaning and cooking, sweeping and mending. Of love and desire and secrets and loss.
 
I really enjoyed this book - the scenes of domesticity and seeing the Bennet family though the eyes of the help.
 
Thank you so much for the proof, Longbourn is a welcome addition to my bookcase and I hope it shall be for yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment