Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Bracelet of Bones

9691588
 
Bracelet of Bones by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Published March 1 2011 Quercus
 
 
I enjoy Marie-Louise Jensen's Scandinavian novels so when I spotted Bracelet of Bones at the library I thought I would give it a go. It is junior fiction so no deep romance in this one, but you do get a fantastic Viking story.
 
Solveig wakes up one morning to find her father, Halfdan, gone. He promised he would rejoin an fight for Harald Hardrada (he of Stamford Bridge fame) in Miklagard (Constantinople). Solveig had always known her father would leave one day but he had sworn to take her with him, so Solveig follows him, from her home in Norway and it is her journey that is told in wonderfully rich detail within these pages.
 
I love that a Viking novel has such a strong female protagonist and the book includes an incredibly useful glossary of characters, list of Norse Gods and Goddesses and a map of Solveig's route.
 
Bracelet of Bones is the first book in Kevin Crossley-Holland's Viking Sagas and I am looking forward to reading about Solveig's next adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment