Pages

Thursday 5 December 2013

The Paris Winter

16173305
 
The Paris Winter by Imogen Robertson
Published 11 April 2013 Headline Review
 
"A dark and opulent tale of deception, betrayal and revenge in Paris,1909."
 
This is one of my favourite books of 2013. The hugest of thank you's to H for sending me a copy. It is dark, it is opulent and it is completely wonderful. Writing this review makes me want to re-read it all over again!
 
The setting is perfect. I have been to Paris and felt almost homesick whilst reading the evocative descriptions of Parisian streets and parks, gardens and galleries. If I ever get to visit this wonderful city again, The Paris Winter is coming with me.
 
The story is highly appealing. Struggling art student trying to make her way in Paris, barely making ends meet. Guardian angel who leads her to well-paid respectable employment as a companion to a young lady. All is well until the student begins to learn a little too much about the young lady and her brother. A confrontation...a struggle....the freezing cold waters of the Seine.
 
This very clever plot kept me reading late into the night. Imogen Robertson is a new author to me and I am looking forward to reading more from her.
 
The Paris Winter is a fantastic read, especially at this time of year - curled up on the sofa in front of the fire with a glass of cognac and a macaron. Read it! You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment